Thursday, December 11, 2014

The Creche and the Cross


Dear Old Friend,

I put up my Christmas yard decoration this past weekend. 
 
My husband made it years ago, to my specifications, and I love it because I think it tells the whole story.  As I was dragging it out of the garage this year, I thought about how we usually get the story wrong.  Humanity’s situation was so desperate that the Creator of the Universe Himself had to come and save us!  Unfortunately, we humans have typically misjudged the nature of our problem and have looked for a different kind of savior to meet different needs than what God had in mind.

That reminded me of an experience I had with my grandson this summer.  My son had to cut his grass and asked me if I could come down and keep his four year old occupied while he got the job done.  I was delighted, of course!  We played happily, until we began a game of Go Fish.  My grandson had very definite ideas of how the game should be played, and his plan involved me letting him win, primarily by allowing him to cheat. When I didn’t agree to his plan, he got quite upset and announced that he was not going to play with me anymore; then he hit me!  When I told him in no uncertain terms that hitting me was unacceptable, he decided he would take this matter to his father. 

In my grandson’s mind, he was going to tell on me and I would be in trouble.  He misjudged the situation.  He thought he had one issue, but his father saw a bigger picture, and addressed a different problem, the need to respect Grammie. The sad four-year-old was sent to Time Out to ponder the fact that the trouble wasn’t outside of him, it was within.

Around the time of Jesus’ birth, the Jews were calling out to their Father, telling him of their tribulations under the Romans.  Their expectation was that he would hear their cry and the Romans would be in trouble.  But God saw the bigger picture and addressed the deeper need; not someone to save them from the Romans, but someone to save them from themselves. 

We all turn to God with our felt needs: More money, better health, a nicer spouse, obedient children; and he reminds us that he has always had the bigger picture in mind, and that our true need could not be met simply by teaching us important moral lessons or rescuing us from our enemies or by giving us the things we believe we need to make us happy. 

He knew all along that our real need was for God himself to come and enter an earthly mother’s womb; then, to be born and to perfectly live an entire human life; and to die a human death, so that his perfect life and death could be credited to us. To speak only of sweet Baby Jesus in a manger presents a disjointed story which can keep us from seeing the bigger picture. Because of our great need, God, our creator, had to be born, live and die so that we could be reborn, into the family of God.  That’s the complete story of Christmas.

I never get tired of that story!

Love Always,

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment