Thursday, December 18, 2014

Let it Go?



Dear Old Friend,

My daughter sent me a quote which her pastor posted this week: “The type of Christian you are depends on the Christ you believe in.” She loved it and so do I; but, due to the time of year, I have given it a holiday twist: “The type of Christmas you have depends on the Christ you believe in.”

I’m starting to wonder if it’s time to hand Christmas back to the pagans from whence it came.  Apparently the Pope changed the festival of Saturnalia, which was held between December 17 and 23 and incorporated the winter solstice, to Christ Mass, because he thought it was preferable to replace the popular celebration with something Christian rather than attempt to do away with it altogether. 

I’m not one of those people who object to Christmas on the basis of its pagan roots; but, I’m fast becoming one of those people who object to Christmas because, on the whole, it has nothing to do with the Christ I believe in.

Practically everyone I know has, by now, overextended themselves financially, physically and emotionally.  The exhaustion and stress have taken their toll.  The goal seems to be trying to prove our love, goodness and worthiness by what we do during this one season and  what we give on this one day of the year.  
Expectations are being worn on sleeves everywhere. Hearts are waiting to be crushed; hopes dashed; relationships ruined.  Will we feel loved or unloved when we see what we have been given?  Will what we give to others be enough? Will our offerings be accepted or deemed contemptible?  The pressure not to fail is intense.

Many people believe in a Christ who is waiting to see what they have to offer him. He is a lot like Santa in the song Santa Claus is Coming to Town. They think he is watching them when they are sleeping and when they are awake to see whether or not they are measuring up, and they know they had better watch out!  The type of Christmas I described above accurately reflects the Christ they believe in.
 
The Christ I believe in was sent to this earth specifically so that we would never have to worry about measuring up again.  God saw our desperate need to be loved and accepted and he understood our deep sense of unworthiness.  In his mercy, he sent his son to our world to be for us what we could not be; to give what we could not give; and to love us with a love which can never be taken away.  Christ met every expectation on our behalf.  We have nothing left to prove. I want a Christmas like that!

But Christmas seems to have become the antithesis of that and I wonder if there’s any way to turn things around?  I’m afraid it’s too far gone.  Should we just agree to call it Winter Festival, and let it go?  
Many biblical scholars believe Christ was actually born around the Feast of Tabernacles in autumn; some say it was in the spring. Maybe we could choose a new date and just start over, making the celebration of the birth of our Savior one which has nothing to do with trying to prove anything to anyone.  Maybe its hallmark could be forgiveness and reconciliation instead.
But, because we are human and so badly in need of a Savior,  we would most likely distort that day, too, wouldn't we? I guess I'll just pray for grace to make this Christmas reflect the Christ I believe in.

Blessed Christmas, my friend!

Love Always,

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment