Thursday, October 9, 2014

EPILOGUE: Refocus



 Dear Old Friend,

You asked me why I decided to write to you about these formative chapters of my life.  For many years I would have had no other motive than a desire to talk about what I had suffered.  I would have tried to make myself the hero, the innocent victim, who nobly triumphed despite my circumstances; an inspiration to all.  The problem is, as I mentioned in my first letter to you, it would not have been true.  I exhausted myself trying, but I never managed to triumph despite my circumstances.

We all believe that we are the heroes, or perhaps the anti heroes, of our own life stories; regardless of whether I’m the good guy or the bad guy, I think the story of me is about me; but the gospel teaches that there is something much more profound going on in every life chronicle than first meets the eye.  Once I allow myself to consider the possibility that the central figure of my life may not be me, I can begin to see things I never saw before.

When my children were young, one of them got a 3D Stereogram Trapper Keeper in which to carry their schoolwork. At first I had no idea there was anything to look at on the binder cover other than a lot of colorful geometric designs, but then I was informed that there was much more to that glorified notebook than I could ever have imagined.  My children told me that if I looked at those designs long enough, in just the right way, a 3D image would appear.  All three of them could look at those colorful patterns and see the picture.  I, on the other hand, could see nothing but the colorful patterns no matter how I tried.  I asked my children to tell me what the 3D picture looked like, in the hopes that, if I knew what I was looking for, I could make myself see it.  I had them try to explain to me exactly how they refocused their vision and then, after they went to bed at night, I would stare at the Trapper Keeper.  Finally, one glorious night, I squinted and focused my eyes in just the right way and suddenly the image popped out at me!  It was amazing!  I couldn’t understand how I had missed it all the times before. 

The reason I decided to write these letters is a lot like that. From what I know about God and his grace, I knew that the experiences of my childhood were more than just a pattern of pain and fear, abandonment and loss.  I knew that I needed to reexamine the shapes and designs of my past through the eyes of grace.  I needed to refocus so that what popped out at me was the image of the only true Hero of any and every story, who was with me every floundering moment, comforting and carrying me, strengthening and sustaining me.  I needed to see how God used the times when I was the weakest and most afraid, to teach me to depend on him and to show me that he would always be faithful.

I also needed to see that God’s faithfulness to me never has depended and never will depend on my faithfulness to him. Thankfully, God’s relationship with me is not based on “this for that” because I could never produce enough “this” in order to get “that” from God!  Instead, because God loved me (and you) so much, he sent Jesus to satisfy every “this”, so that he could give me (and you) “everything for nothing”.   We have nothing to give him but our need, and God freely gives us everything to supply that need.  We don’t have to deserve it and we can’t earn it.  It is gift.  It is grace.

I knew, by faith, that God’s grace was to be found, hidden within the pieces of these experiences, I just had to refocus in order to see it.  God loved my mother as she struggled, in her brokenness, to find her way; and he loves me as I do the same.  He whispers forgiveness and reassurance to me, when I weep with regret, in the same way he must have whispered to my mother. Writing to you has helped me to finally see God, not myself, as the central figure of my story. 

I know that my letters have brought up your own painful past.  We have all suffered to one extent or another; certainly many have suffered far greater tragedies than I have! But I pray that God enables you to see, through your own story, that he can take every single experience, whether painful or joyful, beautiful or ugly, righteous or rebellious and use it to draw you to him.  We all need to know that nothing is able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:39)

Love Always,

Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment