Thursday, August 14, 2014

Damaged Goods


Dear Old Friend,

Did you know you were the very first kid I ever met who came from a broken home?  I remember so clearly the day my mother told me I would be meeting you.  She explained your circumstances which seemed quite novel to me. It was difficult for me to wrap my ten year old mind around the idea of not having both of your parents around all the time.  I guess my mother wanted to prepare me so that I wouldn’t blurt out some insensitive questions and make you uncomfortable, but after her little talk I had lots of questions I was dying to ask you.  Hopefully I didn’t; I can’t recall now after all this time.  I do recall being relieved to discover that you were quite “normal” and that I liked you.  I was totally oblivious to the fact that the seeds of marital discord were already taking root in my own parents’ marriage and that approximately two years later you and I would be in the same boat! 

I know you remember how active my parents were in our church and church school, helping out in just about every area.  I had grown up feeling securely a part of the “inner circle”, something which shouldn’t exist in churches and church schools but always does.   However, when my parents’ marriage exploded into a million pieces, the rest of the “inner circle”, after carefully examining the causes of the explosion, which included marital infidelity and my father's admission that he was gay, took formal steps to disassociate themselves from both of my parents, and I was the sole survivor of the blast. 

As you recall, I lived with my mother who began attending another church.  She expected me to go with her and intended to enroll me in the church school associated with that congregation, but I balked.  I had gone to the same church since I was five and the same school since the year it began holding classes, which was when I was in third grade.  My family had participated in the planning and building of the school.  All of my friends were there.  I pleaded my case by telling her that my church family was all the security I had left.  The guilt worked and I was allowed to remain; but, it was a hollow victory.

As a middle school aged sole survivor I was an awkward reminder to the church of my parents’, and perhaps their own, failure.  No one knew quite how to relate to me.  I relied on your mother and others to take me to church each week.  Fortunately we were in the choir together so the sting of not having my family present in the congregation was lessened. But it was still painfully obvious that a child without adult family in church is relatively invisible.  Occasionally one of my parents’ old friends would make eye contact and self-consciously ask me how I was doing.  I would say I was fine, but we both knew it wasn’t true and neither of us knew what to do about it.  I was grateful no one asked about my parents.

School was better in some ways, worse in others.  I had you and my other good friends and none of you seemed to treat me differently; but because neither of my parents felt welcomed they  would not agree to attend any of my school events, including my middle school graduation, which left me feeling pretty alone and abandoned.

Around that same time I read an article in a magazine which talked about the damage suffered by children of divorce.  I can’t say what the writer’s intention was; I can only say that what I gleaned from the article was that I was damaged goods.  There were dire statistics about higher divorce rates, suicide rates, and an overall poor prognosis for life in general.  The article made me furious! I felt like this was how everyone looked at me now.  I felt like the world declared me to be a poor risk because of something over which I had no control.  I made a vow right then to prove to everyone that, not only was I not a ruined person, I was a better person because of my circumstances!

How noble that sounds; the makings of a Horatio Alger success story!  And I did try.  I tried so hard to be okay, to be good, to be undamaged; but, inside I always felt broken and ashamed that the magazine had been right after all.  It wasn’t until after many years of trying, when I finally heard the Good News of Grace, that I realized we are all damaged, most often by circumstances beyond our control, and that our brokenness is what God uses to draw us to him; the one who has always loved us, never left us and is able to heal our deepest wounds.

And sometimes, thankfully, He also gives us the blessing of dear friends with whom we can share the journey.

Love Always,

Bonnie

1 comment: